Monday 7 February 2011

New Year's Evil @ Marek's Basement Jan 29th

After a bit of harassment and repeated phone call attempts I finally managed to invite myself (and a couple of friends) to Marek's house party. He was cool with it, I guess it wasn't like I completely forced myself over, but someone told me Marek's band, New Years Evil, was gonna play and I wanted to be there. Me, chris and martin rolled up at their house at around 10 30, kinda drunk but not too bad, I was just pretty hyped to see them play so the alcohol was making me happy and talkative rather than slovenly and incoherent. I recognised the girl who opened the door from my first year in bodington halls. I have a knack for recognising people I’ve never spoken to and see occasionally, and this party was full of all those people from first year.. but this time I spoke to them! It was trippy… The party was pretty much a  mini-bodington reunion, so I had a fun time going up to people and saying "I recognise you!!" and then walking away. I guess I couldn't really think of anything else to say. They were all a pretty friendly bunch of people though, and by the time Marek and his homies from Exeter set up downstairs there was a pretty big crowd going. Well, as much as you can fit into an average sized Leeds basement cluttered with boxes, fairy lights and people holding drinks protectively against their chests.

Mannn I was so hyped to be there, I'd only had about 2 beers so I was buzzing, added to the unique feeling I get when seeing a band in a house, I guess it’s the joy of knowing its DIY... I couldn't really contain myself, which wasn't good for people planning on not moving. They started off loud and crashing (at least I think they did), Marek smashing the drums real fast, the bassist pulling on those strings and the guitarist going nuts, at times I wasn't even aware if he was playing any real chords, just mashing the neck trying to make as much noise as possible, it was raw. The bassist fucked up a couple of times but who cares right? It’s a fuckin house party… Their sound was like, noise/garage rock, you could compare them to Japandroids, but they sounded less.. rocky. Plus the addition of another musician added some more layers, along with some indecipherable shouting vocals. Fuck, just really good to dance to.

There were only a few people really moving, but it didn't matter, the music was making me lose control and thats all I wanted. I guess I was probably annoying the shit out of the people around me, grabbing their heads and trying to get them out in front, yelling in their faces... but fuck, I was feeling too much energy to care, and it was pretty fun to fuck with people. I respect everyone's tolerance though, I'm sure I could easily get smacked for doing what I did if it was some other house.
One of the best things about the night was the feeling of warmth radiating throughout the room, people were handing drinks up to the band, shouting for more music and sweating like FUCK. Maybe I was too dizzy to see how things really were, but I got a real strong sense of togetherness, everyone was there to have a good time and listen to some music. It left me in a pretty upbeat mood, and when we left to another party I found out I'd lost my wallet. Normally I would've stressed out to the point where it becomes childish, but the night was awesome so I didn't have much reason to complain.

check out their myspace for some music: http://www.myspace.com/newyearsevol

Listen to the song 'shame', just listening to it now... can nostalgia refer to something that’s occurred within the past 2 weeks? I guess it can. Feels pretty good.


people holding drinks

1 comment: