Wednesday 9 February 2011

Imp, Blacklisters, Hold Your Horse Is and Mojo Fury @ Brudenell 9th Feb

I went to see a show at the Brudenell tonight, and it sucked. Not because of the music, though that was part of the reason, but due to the lack of respect shown by the stuck up lead singer of a band called Hold Your Horse Is. Its really pathetic how low someone will sink just to boost their self-image, as if slagging off bands before you makes you look like a real badass who doesn't give a fuck. I've never seen such disrespect from an artist to another artist, sure I've seen it from the crowd, but that doesn't really matter. As an artist you should respect another artist's motives and ventures, unless that artist is a complete prick and doesn't deserve any respect. I don't consider myself an artist (though I'd like to), but this fundamental goes for any passion. I skateboard, and though there may be people out there who are worse than (or better than) me, I'm never going to make pretentious comments about their skateboarding abilities unless they truly deserve to be berated, because you can tell when a person does something they love and truly enjoys it for the freedom and joy of expression it gives them. Blacklisters, (a local band who played before Hold Your Horse Is) are a perfect example of this. I've experienced them play a few times, and every time they play they put in as much effort as they can because making music is obviously what they love. They were the main reason I went to the show tonight, and I ended up leaving after their set. A pretty self-righteous thing to do I know, but I had every reason to.



I got to the show when the first band* was playing their last song, which kinda sucked because they sounded alright. It was indie-ish, fast simple drum beats, some nice interlaced guitar riffs between rhythm and lead and a pretty eccentric dude on electric piano.. or keyboard, they're pretty much the same thing. I would like to make more of a solid judgment about their sound or abilities but like I said, I was only there for the last song. I recognised the drummer from the skatepark and that was kinda cool. For those of you who don't know he fuckin kills it on his board, and his drumming is decent too, but I'd rather watch him skate to be honest (not that he sucked at drumming, just, at skating, he fuckin kills it).
*Just found out, the band's called Imp

Blacklisters were playing next, I was pretty happy to be seeing them, but I made the stupid mistake of buying a beer. I shouldn't have done that, me and Chris made a massive curry beforehand so I was feeling pregnant already, and on top of that a half a pint of beer was forcing me to burp as an attempt to release some pressure. Even a fart might have helped but I was all out. Beer fuckin sucks. At times.
Anyway, their set was pretty good, but not as good as I've seen in the past. Firstly, they were positioned on top of the stage which, if you know Blacklisters, doesn't work in their favour. Billy, the lead singer, often goes on rambling adventures through the wilderness of statues, screaming in their faces and focussing deep into their evasive eyeballs. Its pretty fun to watch people squirm around, which is ironic because I'm sure deep down they've always wanted to be the centre of attention, but not like this! NOT LIKE THISSS!! Anyway, fuck it, so the set went on, I tried getting into it but my full stomach really wasnt helping it, and the crowd wasn't really feeling it much either. But they kept playing, still did what they do best whilst having a good time. At one point Billy handed me the mic which was pretty cool. I like being popular.

Then it came down to Hold Your Horse Is. They took the stage and people seemed kinda interested, I decided to remain seated because I was busy thinking about shit. The first thing the lead singer says is "Alright guys we're Hold Your Horse Is, and unlike Blacklisters we're not gonna jump into the crowd so you can all come up to the front"... Are you serious?? I mean, okay it wasn't the most offensive thing to have said, but it was just the way he said it that really got to me. It was so immature, all like, 'yeah we're gonna play music just the way YOU like it'. Then to make things even sweeter he said "come to the front or we're not playing". It would've been so FUCKIN rad if everyone just said 'alright, fuck it', and sat back down again. I would've laughed so hard, right in that dickhead's face. I don't respect people who can't appreciate others attempts. Even if someone sucks at something, if they try then its worth showing a little respect for that fact. And the thing is, Blacklisters didn't suck. Sure it wasn't the best show they've ever done, but the energy was still there. It just pisses me off that the lead singer of hold your horse is could make such callous, egotistical remarks and then continue on to play some cheesy indie-pop about how dreamy your eyes are. Fuck narcissists, they should all go suck their own dicks, I'm sure they'd enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment