Saturday 19 March 2011

BRITISH WILDLIFE FEST V 5th March @ Brudenell

I realise the fest was about 2 weeks ago, normally I'd start writing shit up the day after the show but I was just too fucking tired. And then one thing led to another and I ended up putting it off until right now.. I mean, its not like it really matters though, its not like people are sitting on the edges of their seats waiting for my reviews to come out, I just feel I need to clarify things for my own sake.

The night was amazing, it totally blew away any expectations, not simply because of the music calibre, but the vibes were perfect - the right people in the right place. I had originally planned to go with some friends from London but they couldn't make it, so I found some replacements in Leeds. Just kidding, Chris, Mike and Dave came along completely voluntarily which I found pretty remarkable and admirable in a way, most people would be deterred by the entrance fee and the lack of recognisable band names. It was a good crew though, all dudes are really open to new things so I didn't have to keep checking over my shoulder like an over-enthusiastic camp leader. 
We got there a bit before 4.30 because I being the cocksucker that I am had to get a good spot for Blacklisters.. there was no way I was gonna miss them. The crowd was pretty weak, and as a dude later on pointed out, very very sober, which I guess in white society isn't a good thing in terms of enjoyment.. We are a pitiful race aren't we? The set started off in typical blacklisters fashion, and thank fuck the stage was on ground level with the audience. I reckon all shows should be on ground level, provided the venue is pretty small. It makes the experience so much more personal, your standing right next to them, and they're standing right next to you. Its like.. all in your face.. and shit. There's one song blacklisters play, and every time I hear it it cuts me so deep. Everything just melds together so well in this moment of uncontrollable sound. The bass, the heavy, low, single note he plays shakes my head from side to side, it keeps building and building like a water balloon about to burst. Then, out of nowhere, the scream. THE FUCKING SCREAM. Just thinking about it makes my fingers clench and my teeth jam together. As soon as he lets out that scream my whole spinal column gives way and I just start screaming at the floor, I have absolutely no control over my body.. the music is just so fucking powerful. The drums smash so hard the moment he screams too, it feels like I'm gonna have an epileptic fit, I just have to sit there and spasm while the band continues to manipulate me. Its a crazy feeling, and I can't fucking wait to feel it again.

Billy on the scream

 The next band (Ultra Humanitarian) came on straight after BL, and we didn't know they were on until about 10 minutes into their set. We walked into the games room following the sound of some really flowy drums, and the occasional beep and shudder. The first thing I see is this heavyset bald dude just going at it on the drumset, seriously tearing it up! He was so into it to, his mouth was mimicking every cymbal and drum he hit. I'm pretty sure a deaf person would have been able to lip-read the sounds, at times I would just watch his mouth move and associate that with the drum he was hitting. goo!goo!goo!gak-gak-gak!! He was a drum machine, playing kinda jazzy beats but at a math-rock pace.. entrancing shit. He hardly stopped throughout the entire set, his magnificent bald head getting shinier and redder with every minute. The addition of the guy on synth was pretty cool, I'm not that down for really experimental synth usage, but he pulled it off really well. Everyone in the audience seemed pretty dazed by it all, I tried to take a nice artsy fartsy photo of the band in the background in front of Fumi (a friendly Japanese girl I met later on) because she stood motionless throughout the entire set, taking it all in. It was almost like a piece of interpretive art, the drums were constantly changing but never off-beat, moving seamlessley in and out of the next rhythm amongst the obscure electronic noises.
mm, thought-provoking
 
Gum Takes Tooth came on afterwards, back in the main room. Their set was alright, it was pretty fast and noisy, a duo of one dude on keyboard/synth with raspy cut up vocals and one of the fastest most co-ordinated drummers I have ever seen. This dude was nuts, I think part of the theme for this year's festival was crazy drummers, because almost every band seemed to have one. The crowd was starting to liven up (finally), and there seemed to be quite a bit of hype for the band. Their sound was unique, but I wasn't feeling it that much. The guy on keyboard had some pretty cool effects playing on his voice, the best was a fucked up toy megaphone which he used a good few times, but overall it wasn’t the greatest set of the night for me.

We had a half hour or so to kill before Juffage's set so I figured I'd go grab some food, and the crew came too. Sometimes I hate talking about pointless things such as deliberating what food to choose, so I'll just summarise it; it was a battle between fish and chips or a kebab. Seeing as I've never had a kebab before I thought I'd get on it, so we hit up the Royal Fish place.. Fuck it was disgusting; I don't ever plan on eating it again, or anything from that place. The first thing we see is the guy dumping an iceberg of lard in an ocean of oil. We watched it float around peacefully as he prodded it every now and then with a big stick. The kebab meat looked like a pile of freshly disembowelled entrails, and Mike's chips were at least a few days old. I'd spent my money and Juffage was bound to start playing soon so I had to stuff it down my throat as quick as possible. In a way that was a good thing because there was less room to 'savour' it, and the soft blubbery texture of the miscellaneous meat made it easier to swallow with minimal chews. 

The crew

I was still trudging through my last bite of intestine by the time we reached the games room for Juffage's set, and to my surprise he was stood without any keyboards, drums or pedals - just him and his guitar. I'll be honest, at first I was a bit disappointed, but as the set rolled on I came to appreciate it quite a bit. It definitely wasn't as entertaining or mind-blowing as his regular multi-layered set up, but it gave a different perspective to his songs. I came to notice an even softer, more melancholy undertone which I'd never noticed before, not to mention his ability to yell so clearly/audibly without a mic. I guess when you're only playing one instrument instead of 50 you can focus on your singing more. I spoke to him a little while after his show and asked him about his decision to play without the ensemble, and he told me his main aim was to give the audience an insight into his music beyond the usual cacophony and to put more emphasis on the lyrics, and I reckon he pulled it off pretty well, but at the same time I can't wait to see him fuck up that drum kit again!
JUFFAGE!
 Next up - KONG!! Billy from Blacklisters has been recommending I see this band for fuckin ages, and if someone from BL is telling me that then I guess they must be pretty sick. Their stage presence was felt the moment they stood up to their instruments, with those awesome masks on. I couldnt stop staring at the bassist, his mask looked really creepy. I don't really know I just couldn't stop looking at it. Their music was nuts, heavy, fast, loud and messy as fuck. The lead singer looked fuckin trashed and his nonsensical ramblings about everything and nothing just added to the growing level of energy flowing through the room. At one point he asked for a bottle of JD and got exactly what he wanted, drank a shitload, passed it on and carried on into the next song. There was a bit of a mini-pit going on, this was where the birth of the pit-boys started off, a group of super keen, super hyper 16 year olds having one of the best nights of their lives.. if it wasnt for them (and a couple other dudes) the dancefloor would have been a pile of shit. They played the only song I know well, 'blood of a dove', it was awesome. The riff is so fucking addictive, the singer's voice stumbles on and on, the bass builds and builds, you think the breakdown is gonna drop but it just keeps fucking with you. And then you finally hear him scream.. Ahhhh. The drums hit so hard, everything just worked so goddamn well. A killer set overall.
"get them caterpillars to lick the freckles off yer face"
 Beards next! We scurried into the games room as fast as we could, and thankfully they were only a few songs in. Ahhh Beards, nothing like some fast skippy hi-hat and bouncy basslines to get me hyped. The crowd in the GR (muthafucka!) was buzzing, at least it seemed that way up the front, and people were getting their jump on.. They played some songs off their new album which were pretty damn cool. I mean, I wouldn't really expect a crappy, over-ambitious attempt from these guys, they know what they wanna sound like and they fuckin kill it every time. I gotta give it up to the two chicks, it always gets me hyped seeing girls up on stage really getting into the music, and they give a full-on performance every time. And the dude too, his riffs always confuse the hell out of me, in a good way. They ended their set on 'spinning coin', soooo good!! It was a nice change, because the past times I've seen them they always bust it out first. Still no So De Do De Ku, but maybe next time I'll get to hear it.. and when that happens, expect spilled drinks and angry glares galore!!! Yum!!!!!
Beards
 After Beards, a band I'd never seen/heard of called Three Trapped Tigers took the main stage. The pit-boyos were back in full force, and everyone seemed pretty intrigued, I guess 15 minutes of sound checking and re-tuning helps build the suspense. I remember the start off being really epic, almost.. theatrical. The drummer... oh my fucking goddd. He was unbelievable, a fucking maniac. His drum kit was a picture of sheer destruction; one of the cymbals looked as if a shark had taken a bite out of it, there were bits of drumstick flying everywhere and the dude never slowed down. He could probably run a marathon on his hands. It was some crazy progressive electronic math rock shit, like anamanaguchi but with a more explosive edge. I was pretty dead by that point, at least 4 and hours of solid dancing (+ half an hour of pig/cow/pigeon organ swallowing), but the band still got me to move a little. I was pretty tired so I dont remember much else, and I was anticipating the next performer... the man, serious sam barrett.
TTT + pit boys and the dude with dreads
This guy was having the best time ever

 We shoved our way close to the front of the games room, there was no fuckkin way I was gonna miss out. We managed to make it for the last half of Lullaby of Leeds, one of the best songs to sing along to. I've come to tolerate people jabbering like idiots in the back more these days, but for this show I really wanted someone to tell them to shut the fuck up. Its not like it really mattered, I could still hear Sam, but it just annoys me sometimes - its pretty disrespectful to the artist (and audience) if you come in just to talk over the music. Seems like a pretty big waste of money, you might as well go to tiger tiger, i've heard they've got a bangin new soundsystem. Maybe they make a competition out of it, see who can talk the most coherently in front of the loudest speaker. And then the loser has to drink everyone's cum. But don't worry they're not gay, they're just manly. Fuck it, Sam was getting into it and so was I. I was thinking he must get a lott of chicks, he's got the voice and he sings about the pain of love.. what more could they want?? He ended up his set with 'rock and roll heart', and I had to hold someone so I put my arm over chris's shoulder, as friends do. I'm hoping he didnt take it the wrong way. I felt someone squeeze my ass a couple of times but I reckon it was the nice girl standing behind me.. at least I think there was a chick there.



Serious Sam


Pit-boys reppin serious sam! whaaattttttt

Finally, we'd reached the pinnacle of the fest, VESSLES. I'd never heard them live, but I'd definitely heard of them before. There seemed to be a lot of hype building for this set, and it was a fucking amazing way to finish, they couldn't have chosen a better band to end it on. It was just so fuckin... epic. Beyond epic, it was almost mind-altering at times. Their composition as a group is professional as fuck, you can tell they've been at it for a while. I cant remember any songs in particular, I just remember the feeling of heat and energy undulating throughout the room with every build up.. people at the front were jamming, the entire dancefloor was moving. That was a first for me to see in the Brudenell. They just kept going and going, I was physically non-existent, my muscles had turned into dust, but my brain just couldnt stop, and the power of their music managed to force me back into it.. They managed to fit in 2 encores to top it off, by the end of it everyone was so overwhelmed and juiced up by their performance it probably could've gone on for another 10 minutes at least and they'd still be up for it.


Vessles. dead.

This was one of the best nights I've been to in a longg time, the organisation of it all was so smooth, though one or two songs may have been missed, I still managed to make it to each act with plenty of time to go. The bands that played were amazing, the mix of sounds was pretty eclectic, but thats exactly what made it so fun. Major major MAAAJOR props to Nodwell, to my knowledge he's the one who put it all together, so, Nodwell, thank you. It was awesome.. hyped for next year!

Listen to:
Juffage

No comments:

Post a Comment